The Young Citizens program for students aged 10 to 16 focuses on citizenship and is a complementary component
to Heritage Fairs, an annual event where students publicly present the results of their research on Canadian heroes,
legends, and key events in Canadian history.
Participants selected for the Young Citizens program create a short video about their Heritage Fair topic,
much like an evening news report or short documentary film. The videos are posted online,
and a public vote is held to determine the top 30 submissions.
A national panel of judges will then select six students who will receive a
sponsored trip to Ottawa to screen their films at the Canada’s History Forum.
Students selected to participate in the Young Citizens Program must:
- Be between the ages of 10 and 16, as of July 2014.
- Have presented a project about a topic in Canadian history at a local Heritage Fair.
- Submit a unique and polished video worthy of national online distribution.
- Act as a good ambassador of their town, city, or region.
- Be enthusiastic and passionate about their research and want to share their stories with fellow Canadians.
- Have the ability to communicate ideas in front of an audience and to the camera.
- Be able to express themselves well in their chosen language.
(Students are strongly encouraged to present the project in one or both of Canada’s official languages.)
(Videos in other languages will be accepted if subtitled in English or French.)
- Have parental permission before submitting the video for consideration.
Team or group projects are not eligible to participate in the Young Citizens program.
The video must have been made by one student and present a single vision.
Please find attached three files on the 2014 Young Citizen Program. Please read them carefully
and then return the Ontario RF Young Citizen Request form to Carol White (email@example.com)
asap so she can assign Young Citizens before the Christmas Break.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact Carol.
We are hoping to have an extremely successful YC program this year. Money received through
our participation will not only go to helping your fair but also help towards fulfilling
our fund-raising goal for a Provincial Fair.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE YOUNG CITIZENS PROGRAM GUIDELINES FOR ONTARIO
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A FORM TO REQUEST A YOUNG CITIZEN SPOT IN ONTARIO
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AN ONTARIO YOUNG CITIZENS APPLICATION FORM
To learn more about the Young Citizens program, please visit
or contact Executive Director Carol White at firstname.lastname@example.org.